Today I chatted with a friend about some of the most influential Black women in popular culture. We talked about the Nicki Minaj/Lil Kim battle, Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey. I felt like I was undergoing a G-20 classified security clearance for a rouge feminist operation. I felt most at ease when he asked “what does a free woman look like?” and “what is her life like?”
Well I’m a woman. I also happen to be a woman in the pursuit of freedom. I started the Freedom Pages with idea to share with folks my musings on this journey towards freedom. Reading Pearl Cleage’s “I Wish I Had a Red Dress” novel was the first time I read a list of all things a Free Woman should possess. Her list impacted me so deeply. It was one of the reasons I decided to go to Haiti. So I decided to compile what we discussed along with some more ideas below.
1. A free woman has the power to choose.
2. A free woman has the ability to make informed choices.
3. A free woman uses new tools to build her house.
4. A free woman is educated about the world around her.
5. A free woman has options and has the choice to explore them or not.
6. A free woman takes risks.
7. A free woman understands that she can only control actions of her own.
8. A free woman uses self-reflection as a platform for growth.
9. A free woman helps other women and girls become free.
10. A free woman defines and affirms her own image.
11. A free woman understands and embraces her body.
12. A free woman experiences and confronts challenges in life.
13. A free woman values relationships.
14. A free woman will read this list and begin to define what it means to be free for herself.
What do you think a free woman looks like? What does her life look like? What would you add to this list? Take away?